Wednesday 19 August 2015

Introductions are in order...

Hi and welcome to my blog! I thought I would start with a little bit about me and what I hope this blog will become.

First off, I'm a 20 something first time Mama to a beautiful baby boy. We live together with my partner and my Mum in a little country, at the bottom of the world, called New Zealand.

Since becoming pregnant with our first son, my outlook on life and the world has changed. I have always had an appreciation for the environment and some concerns about the industrialised way in which our first world culture affects it. Pregnancy gave me the opportunity to reflect more on these issues. Researching and learning how to care for a baby opened my eyes to our world of corporate reliance, social conditioning, fear, and debt - to name a few!

How did I go from baby rearing to this, you might ask? I'm not entirely sure to be honest. But perhaps it's partly because of the billions of products made for babies (and humans of all ages) which turn out to be detrimental to their health and our environment. Countless reports on hidden chemicals which could affect the health of our offspring (and us!). Disposable nappies filling up holes in the ground along with the rest of our rubbish. The truth is, most of these products we don't need. But clever business marketers tell us that we need to buy these products and there is no other alternative if you are a modern, civilised human.

Growing up, I wanted to make a difference. My Mum has a memory of me coming home from school one day and saying something along the lines of, "Mum, I want to change the world". I haven't been successful in this adolescent quest just yet, and maybe I won't be able to singlehandedly change the whole world but I am starting to figure out what exactly needs to be changed.

And that my friends, is what my plan is for this blog. Figuring out what is wrong with the world and giving some solutions a go. Sharing my research and experiences with like-minded people and documenting my attempt to 'change the world'.

SheeForce

No comments:

Post a Comment